More information from ISU extension on:
Preparation: Before cooking or consuming beans, wash beans thoroughly under running water scrubbing off all dirt and residue. Trim off ends of beans before use.
Pairings and Nutrition
Pairings: Royal burgandy beans can be eaten raw or steamed, boiled, baked, or sautéed. Beans are a great side dish or can be used in casseroles or stir-fries.
Nutrition: Adults should consume 2.5-3 cups of vegetables per day according to the USDA MyPlate recommendations. Green beans contain vitamin C and potassium.
Green Bean Recipes
Burgandy Beans with Pecans and Maple Vinegrette
- 3/4 cup pecans
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 pounds royal burgandy beans, trimmed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Heat oven to 400º F. Spread the pecans on a rimmed baking sheet and bake, tossing once, until toasted, 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool, then roughly chop.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 tablespoon salt. Add the beans and cook until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Add the beans and pecans and toss to combine.
Purple Bean, Grape, and Pasta Toss
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 8 bacon slices
- 1 pound thin fresh purple beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 (8-oz.) package penne pasta
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups seedless red grapes, cut in half
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°. Arrange pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake at 350° for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon.
- Cook beans in boiling salted water to cover 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge beans into ice water to stop the cooking process.
- Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Whisk together mayonnaise and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; add pecans, beans, pasta, grapes, and onion, stirring to coat. Season with salt to taste.
- Cover and chill 3 hours; stir in bacon just before serving.
Roasted Green Bean, Apple, and Bacon Sandwiches
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 6 thick bacon slices
- 1/2 cup torn fresh dill
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon firmly packed lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 medium-size Red Delicious apple
- 2 (8 1/2-oz.) French bread baguettes, cut in half horizontally
- 4 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, thinly sliced
- Wax paper
- Preheat oven to 425°. Toss green beans with 2 tsp. olive oil, pepper, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Place beans in a single layer in a jelly-roll pan, and bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven, and chill 10 minutes.
- Arrange bacon in a single layer in jelly-roll pan. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Whisk together dill, next 4 ingredients, 3 Tbsp. lemon juice, and remaining 3/4 tsp. salt. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut apple into thin slices, and toss with remaining 1 Tbsp. lemon juice.
- Spoon vinaigrette onto top halves of baguettes. Layer beans, bacon, apple, and cheese on bottom halves. Cover with top halves of baguettes; wrap tightly in wax paper. Chill up to 2 hours. Slice sandwiches before serving.
Grilled Shrimp-and-Green Bean Salad
- 8 (12-inch) wooden skewers
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 pounds peeled, medium-size raw shrimp
- Basil Vinaigrette, divided
- 6 cooked bacon slices, crumbled
- 1 1/3 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped roasted, salted almonds
- Cornbread (optional)
- Soak wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Cook green beans in boiling salted water to cover 4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain, pat dry, and place in a large bowl.
- Combine shrimp and 3/4 cup Basil Vinaigrette in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal and chill 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove shrimp from marinade, discarding marinade. Thread shrimp onto skewers.
- Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 2 minutes on each side or just until shrimp turn pink. Remove shrimp from skewers; toss with green beans, bacon, Parmesan cheese, almonds, and remaining 3/4 cup Basil Vinaigrette.
- Serve over hot cornbread, if desired.