Type: Leafy Green Vegetable
Flavor: Sweet, juicy, hearty
Quantity: Bunch of 9
Use: Consumed raw or cooked
Storage and Preparation
Short Term Storage: Store Kale unwashed in an open plastic bag in the vegetable crisper of the refrigerator (3-5 days).
Preparation: Strip out the mature stems of the kale that are too tough to eat. Wash leaves under cool running water to remove dirt before cooking or eating.
Pairings and Nutrition
Pairing: Green kale is great to use to make kale chips or to eat raw in a salad. Green kale is easy to bake and is delicious just seasoned with salt.
Nutrition: Adults should consume 1.5-2 cups of leafy green vegetables per week according to the USDA MyPlate recommendations. Kale is high in calcium, potassium, and vitamin C. One cup of chopped kale has almost as much vitamin C as one cup of orange.
Green Winterbor Kale Recipes
Garlic Roasted Kale
- 3 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 10 ounces kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- Arrange oven racks in center and lower third of oven. Preheat oven to 425°. Place a large jelly-roll pan in oven for 5 minutes.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; toss to coat. Place kale mixture on hot pan, spreading with a silicone spatula to separate leaves.
- Bake at 425° for 7 minutes. Stir kale. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until edges of leaves are crisp and kale is tender.
- Place kale in a large bowl. Drizzle with vinegar; toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Whole-Grain Spaghetti With Kale and Tomatoes
- 6 ounces whole-grain spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 bunch kale, thick stems removed and leaves torn into bite-size pieces (about 8 cups)
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted almonds
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan (1 ounce), plus more for serving
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve ¼ cup of the cooking water; drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt, and â…› teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the kale and cook, tossing frequently, until tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook, tossing frequently, until the tomatoes begin to soften, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Add the kale mixture, almonds, parmesan, and reserved cooking water to the pasta and toss to combine. Serve with additional parmesan.