Type: Leafy Green Vegetable
This lettuce mix contains 6 different kinds of lettuce including: Green Oakleaf, Red Oakleaf, Green Romaine, Red Romaine, Lollo Rossa, and Redleaf lettuces
Quantity sold in: Bag
Use: Consumed raw
Grown in: High tunnel
Grown by: Top Shelf Farm
Storage and Preparation
Short Term Storage: Store greens unwashed in an open plastic bag in the refrigerator (3-5 days).
Preparation: Wash leaves under cool running water to remove dirt before cooking or eating.
Pairings and Nutrition
Pairing: Lettuce mix is delicious to consume in a salad by itself or mixed with other greens. This lettuce can be topped with almost any fruits, nuts, or dressing for a refreshing salad. Lettuce mix can also be used on top of pizza or in pasta dishes to add color and flavor as well.
Nutrition: Adults should consume 1.5-2 cups of leafy green vegetables per week according to the USDA MyPlate recommendations.
Lettuce Mix Recipes
Mixed Lettuce, Pear, and Goat Cheese Salad with Citrus Dressing
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped shallots
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 4 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 4 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice
- 2 firm ripe pears, cored and thinly sliced
- 8 cups lettuce mix
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
- To prepare dressing, combine shallots and mustard in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Stir in 1/4 cup orange juice and next 3 ingredients (through pepper). Gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- To prepare salad, combine 2 Tbsp. orange juice and pears, tossing to coat.
- Arrange about 1 cup lettuce mixture on each of 8 salad plates. Drizzle with dressing and top each serving with about 1/4 cup pear and 1 1/2 Tbsp. cheese.
Roasted Salad of Spring Greens, Hazelnuts, Romano Cheese
- 6 cups of fresh lettuce mix
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 -2 ounces pecorino romano cheese
- 10 hazelnuts, toasted, chopped
- drizzle of good balsamic vinegar
- Black pepper
- Mix olive oil into the greens with your hands. You will find you need very little when you do this. Toss with vinegar, salt pepper.
- Arrange on shallow baking dish. Place thin slices of pecorino cheese and chopped hazelnuts as much or as little as you like.
- Roast for 5-6 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Variations: Can add almonds or pine nuts, dried fruit such as cherries or craisens or even fresh fruit such as grapefruit or pomegranate arils . Crunchy bacon would also add some extra flair to this dish.