Type: Leafy Green Vegetable
Flavor: tender, mild romaine flavor
Use: Consumed raw or cooked
Grown: High tunnel
Storage and Preparation
Short Term Storage: Red leaf lettuce should be stored unwashed in an open plastic bag in the vegetable crisper of the refrigerator and will keep for up to 1 week.
Preparation: Thoroughly wash leaves under cool running water to remove dirt before cooking or eating.
Pairings and Nutrition
Pairing: Red leaf lettuce has a very mild flavor and is great to use in salads and on sandwiches. It ads visual interest and color to almost any dish.
Nutrition: Adults should consume 1.5-2 cups of leafy green vegetables per week according to the USDA MyPlate recommendations. Red leaf lettuce contains vitamin A and vitamin K.
Red Leaf Lettuce Recipes
Red-Leaf Salad with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks)
- 1 purple onion (medium, quartered)
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- coarse salt
- ground pepper
- 10 ozs green beans
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tbsps white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 10 ozs red leaf lettuce (torn into bite-size pieces)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss together sweet potatoes, onion, and oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast until sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Add green beans and walnuts to sheet; toss. Roast until green beans are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, vinegar, and garlic; season dressing with salt and pepper. Top lettuce with roasted vegetable mixture; drizzle with dressing.
Cilantro Chicken Salad
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (minced)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (crushed)
- 4 cups red leaf lettuce (torn)
- 2 cups cooked chicken (cubed)
- 1 pt cherry tomatoes
- In a large bowl mix together tomatoes, chicken, lettuce.
- In a small bowl combine olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, cumin, salt, and red pepper flakes.
- Pour over larger bowl contents and mix well.