Flavor: Mild, sweet
Use: Consume raw or cooked
Grown: High tunnel
Grown by: ISU Graduate Student
Storage and Preparation
Short term storage: Store peppers unwashed and in a loose plastic bag in the vegetable drawer of the refrigerator. Peppers will last up to a week in the fridge.
Long term storage: Peppers can be frpzen or canned
Preparation: Wash produce thoroughly before use.
Nutrition: Bell peppers are high in vitamin A and C, as well as folate. They are low in calories, at about 30 calories for 1 cup.
Baked Eggs in Stuffed Peppers
3 sweet bell peppers, red, orange or yellow
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, diced
½ cup onion, chopped
1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into a large dice, about 2 cups
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
¼ cup brandy
½ cup Ricotta cheese
¼ cup crumbled Feta cheese
2 cups prepared marinara sauce
Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 F°.
1. Cut peppers in half and remove ribs and seeds. Place cut side up in shallow microwave safe bowl or dish. Add ⅓ cup water to bowl. Sprinkle peppers with kosher salt and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
2. Heat large skillet over medium high heat and melt butter and olive oil. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds. Add onion and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add butternut squash, thyme leaves and kosher salt and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add brandy. Return to heat and cook for 4-5 more minutes until brandy has cooked down and squash has softened and is easily pierced with a fork.
3. Keep warm and add Ricotta and Feta cheese. Taste and season with more salt if desired.
4. Pour marinara sauce in bottom of 9 x 12 inch baking dish. Place peppers cut side up and spoon ½ to ¾ cup of butternut squash mixture into each pepper, creating a hollow for egg. Bake peppers and squash mixture for 10 minutes or until warmed through. Remove from oven.
5. Carefully break egg into small ramekin or measuring cup and slowly pour into each pepper taking care not to overflow egg. Repeat until each pepper is filled.
6. Season with freshly ground black pepper and bake peppers for 10-12 minutes or until whites of eggs are set. Serve each pepper with marinara sauce and extra feta cheese if desired.