Blush Tiger tomatoes are an heriloom variety of "julienne" or elongated cherry tomatoes. They have a yellow skin with faint red stripes. The fruit is very sweet and tropical tasting. Delicious raw or cooked.
Variety: Blush Tiger
Quantity sold in: Pint
Flavor: Sweet fruity flavor
Use: Consumed raw or cooked
Grown in:Transitional Organic Field
Grown by: Student Intern
Storage and Preparation
Short Term Storage: Tomatoes should be stored at room temperature out of direct sun light and will continue to ripen and sweeten even after they have been picked. Ripe tomatoes are best consumed within 2-3 days. Under ripe tomatoes can be kept up to 5 days at room temperature. Refrigeration for fresh tomatoes is not usually recommended because it can cause flavor loss. However, ripe tomatoes can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days with minimal flavor loss. Tomatoes should be removed from the fridge and let to rest at room temperature for at least 1 hour before eating.
Long Term Storage: Tomatoes can be frozen or canned.
More information from ISU extension on:
Canning and freezing tomatoes
Preparation: Moldy, soft or wrinkled tomatoes should be discarded. Tomatoes should be rinsed thoroughly with cold running water before being sliced or eaten. Once sliced, tomatoes should be covered and refrigerated if not consumed within 2 hours. Sliced tomatoes can last up to 1-2 days in the refrigerator.
Pairings and Nutrition
Pairings: Sun gold tomatoes are sweet and delicious enough to eat fresh by the handful. They can stand alone as a snack or side dish or are a great addition to pasta, salads, and salsas.
Nutrition: Cherry tomatoes are low in calories and are a good source of potassium and vitamin A.
Sun Gold Tomato Recipes
Oven Roasted Tomatoes
- 2 1/2 lbs. cherry tomatoes (about 7 cups)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. snipped fresh basil
- Crust bread slices (optional)
- Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil. Remove and discard stems from tomatoes; wash tomatoes. Pat tomatoes dry with paper towels. Arrange tomatoes in a single layer in pan. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over tomatoes and toss tomatoes to coat.
- Bake, uncovered, in the oven at 400 degrees F for 14 to 18 minutes or just until the tomatoes are soft and skins begin to split, gently stirring once halfway through baking.
- Transfer the tomatoes to a shallow serving bowl. Drizzle the balsamic mixture from the pan over the tomatoes. Sprinkle with snipped basil. Serve warm or at room temperature. If you like, serve with bread to dip in the vinegar mixture. Makes 8 side-dish servings.
Tip: For a richer flavor, heat 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat until boiling. Boil gently, uncovered, for 6 to 8 minutes or until reduced to 2 Tbsp., watching carefully at the end because vinegar will reduce quickly.
Garden Delight Pizza
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 13 - 15 - inch Whole Wheat Pizza Dough or desired pizza crust
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce or pizza sauce
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup lightly packed, finely shredded yellow summer squash
- 1/2 cup lightly packed, finely shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup lightly packed, finely shredded carrot
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 Tbsp. snipped fresh basil
- In a shallow baking pan, toss together the onion, olive oil and salt. Roast, uncovered, in a 450 degree F oven for 20 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven; set aside.
- Bake Whole Wheat Pizza Dough crust in a 450 degree F oven for 7 to 9 minutes or until crust is light brown. Remove from oven.
- Spread tomato sauce evenly over crust; sprinkle with garlic. Sprinkle with cheese. Top with roasted onion, yellow squash, zucchini and carrot. Arrange tomato slices on top of the layer of vegetables. Sprinkle with the snipped basil.
- Return to oven; bake for 8 to 10 minutes more or until heated through and bottom of crust is crisp and brown. Remove from oven; cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes.
Pan-Seared Chicken with Tomato-Olive Relish
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped basil
- 1 Tbsp. sherry vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted olives
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp. oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done.
- While chicken cooks, combine remaining 1 tsp. olive oil, basil, and vinegar in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add cherry tomatoes and olives; toss to coat. Serve relish with chicken